Wednesday, November 29, 2017

November 29, 2017

At the beginning of this year, I knew 2017 would be my year of biking.  I had a bike-themed calendar on my wall where I have recorded the miles I rode each day.  I had expected to hit at least 1,000 miles this year; of course I'd be delighted to total more, but I didn't have a set goal from the start.  I wanted it to be fun, not rigidly focused on a number.

Well, I reached 500 miles in May, and 1,000 in September, so I seemed on track to hit 1,500 by the end of the year, and that was the goal that has evolved.  Of course, adding those last 500 miles as the temperature dropped could be more challenging, but I've really lucked out with mild weather this month--a few days in the 50s, and the day after Thanksgiving was in the low 60s! 

By my records I have about 135 miles to go in the last 32 days of the year.  So close!!! 

I debate about whether or not to make a goal for next year.  I've thought of bumping it up to 1,800, or even 2,000, but then I think: I want to continue to enjoy biking!  I don't want this to be a chore, and I really don't want to go for a 50 mile bike ride on New Year's Eve just to get it done, haha.  I've also thought about tracking my running miles next year, and whether or not I should make a goal for that.  I think for now, I'll keep things flexible and casual.  I'll keep score, don't get me wrong!  But I'll try not to get too attached to any number before I reach it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment