Sunday, December 17, 2017

December 17, 2017

I've been thinking about that build-your-own triathlon idea for the last year or so, and I realized today that I actually did three fun, memorable, semi-athletic things (without really planning on doing them all like this) in the last 24-hours, so here's my brag :)

Yesterday afternoon I went hiking at Indian Lake County Park, which contains a small section of the Ice Age Trail.  The trails are more rugged and hilly than I'm used to traversing in the Arboretum (and I love that they are rugged and hilly!  I need to go for a faster hike (that is, a run) there, asap!)  The weather was warmer yesterday than it has been recently, the sun was out (for a bit), and the trails were dusted with snow.  Birch trees were stark white against the browns of early winter, the lake was frozen...it was just lovely.  The hike lasted an hour or so, until the temperature started to drop and the breeze picked up.

After refueling with fish tacos at Lucille's (for a pizza place, they make surprisingly delicious fish tacos!), the second "leg" of my triathlon was a contra dance downtown.  I LOVE contra dance.  Seriously, it is just pure joy (and shenanigans!)  I don't really know the other dancers (because we dance much more than we talk), but I recognize the regulars.  I love the diversity of the community, the welcoming attitudes, and did I mention the joy and shenanigans?  At one point last night the band was playing a version of jingle bells and at least half the dancers were singing along.  The dancing can be surprisingly athletic, but also, it's a good mental challenge--trying to remember the sequence of steps and invariably, trying to make up for my failures to remember the sequence of steps!  The dance lasted about three hours and I loved every minute of it :D

After tending to blisters from dancing (yeouch!) and a short night's sleep, the last leg of my triathlon was a 10k this morning at Pheasant Ridge, part of the Snowshoe Scurry series.  It was a pretty small crowd--27 people completed the 10k and just 17 did the 5k.  They also have a fat tire bike race afterwards, which, surprisingly (to me) had 36 participants.  The trail was decent--mostly gravel, some grass, and quite a bit of nice, springy boardwalk.  Two loops for the 10k, which reminded me of second-sock-syndrome in knitting: wait, you mean I have to do this all AGAIN?!  My time was 1:04:00ish (not chip timed), and I think I finished second (to last, haha, no shame!)  Afterwards they plied us with chili and fixings.  YUM.  That'll bring me back for the next run!  But, also, BRR!  The temperature wasn't bad while running, but quickly afterwards I was ready to get home to a warm shower (my victory lap!)

I had an absolute blast the past 24-hours!  Loved every minute of these activities, and the feeling of satisfied tiredness at the end of it all.  So happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment